Call for Volunteers: Rights Protection Mechanisms Implementation Review Team
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) organization is seeking volunteers to participate in an Implementation Review Team (IRT) to assist in the implementation of the policy recommendations from the Phase 1 work of the Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group on the Review of All Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) in All Generic Top-Level Domains (gTLDs). Specifically, this IRT will assist ICANN org in implementing the recommendations in the first and third implementation categories identified in the background section below. Implementation of the remaining recommendations from the Phase 1 Final Report will be integrated into the implementation work related to the subsequent round of new gTLDs.
For this IRT, ICANN org is seeking volunteers, including current or former Policy Development Process Working Group members that participated in the Working Group's Phase 1 work, who possess a deep understanding of the RPM Phase 1 PDP Working Group's policy recommendations and accompanying rationale. In addition, registry and registrar representatives, as well as Trademark Post-Delegation Dispute Resolution Procedure (PDDRP) and Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) Providers responsible for implementing new policy requirements and improvements to existing processes related to the Phase 1 RPMs are encouraged to participate.
All volunteers responding to this call are expected to understand the role and remit of the IRT for the project.
Per the Consensus Policy Implementation Framework (CPIF), "the IRT is expected to serve as a resource to staff on the background and rationale of the policy recommendations and return to the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council for additional guidance as required (see also IRT Principles & Guidelines). Where relevant, the IRT should also include technical or subject-matter experts and contracted parties who can assist staff in the planning for the technical implementation of a policy change."
The IRT will:
- Review the proposed implementation plan as drafted by ICANN org for consistency with the recommendations from the RPM Phase 1 PDP Working Group.
- Assist where questions or clarifications from ICANN org are needed.
- Advise on technical and operational details related to the implementation of the RPM Phase 1 PDP recommendations.
How to Apply
To participate, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The IRT work is expected to include conference calls on an as-needed basis beginning in November 2022 for one hour each, with scheduling to be determined by the group. Between meetings, the IRT will work using collaborative tools.
In adopting all 35 final recommendations from the Phase 1 work of the PDP Working Group, the Board noted that implementation of the recommendations could be divided into several categories. These implementation categories are:
- Recommendations that call for updates to existing operational practices or documentation concerning the RPMs where no substantial resources are required for implementation – a total number of sixteen (16) recommendations;
- Recommendations to maintain the status quo (i.e., maintaining the Phase 1 RPMs as implemented for the 2012 New gTLD Program) – a total number of nine (9) recommendations;
- Recommendations that require substantial resourcing, and involvement of multiple stakeholders to implement – a total number of six (6) recommendations; and
- Recommendations affecting subsequent round(s) of new gTLDs – a total number of four (4) recommendations.
For additional background on the RPM PDP Working Group, please consult the community wiki.